Saturday, January 5, 2008

Day 3 (A little late - sorry!)

Day 3

This morning started out with not the brightest idea we’ve ever had: campaign exposure on the side of the road on a New Hampshire morning. It was unbelievably cold, but it was really wonderful to see so many people honking, waving, and giving us thumbs up. I felt like the reception was amazing, which was a nice change of pace. It was so cold that I couldn’t feel my hands after about five minutes, but I figured out quickly how to keep moving and stay in the sun so I stayed a bit warmer. After about 30 minutes, we packed it in an visited one of the about one hundred Dunkin’ Donuts that is around this area (they’re everywhere – it’s amazing!) for some hot coffee.


We moved shop to another location this morning to better coordinate with volunteers that are from the community. We have people making phone calls and canvassing, which is wonderful to see. From what I can tell, the kids that went out door to door today had an awesome experience, just talking to voters and getting a better feel for the voter sentiment towards our candidate.

As a side note, this last photo shows all the clothing that was piled on under the coat for warmth this morning - its still not a complete showing!

Marc and I grabbed two of the other interns this evening once they were finished canvassing and we headed out to Exeter, a town close by to where we were, for some actual dinner. We wound up at a Asian restaurant because one of the girls wanted us to bring her back some edmame. The dinner was delicious and we definitely had some left over for later, which is fantastic. We got to call it an early night, so I’ll keep this short so that I can maybe get in a full night’s sleep – keep your fingers crossed for me!

- Amanda

2 comments:

....... said...

Wher is Obama?
Ice-battered Kentucky pleads for help from storm
...Local officials grew angrier at what they said was a lack of help from the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency...

At least 42 people have died in the icy arc of destruction that began in the Midwest.... Emergency Management Director Randell Smith...said FEMA was still a no-show days after the storm. "I'm not saying we can't handle it," Smith said. "We're handling it. But it sure would have made life a lot easier."

FEMA spokeswoman Mary Hudak said..."We have plenty of folks ready to go, but there are some limitations with roads closed and icy conditions."

KU Terry said...

NICE POST!

First it was converting from ksu to KU. Now I am a Democrat. :) Therefore I wanted to post this here


Once I opened my mind and listened to Democratic views. I have discovered this is the party for me and I believe for most other Americans as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Why I have changed my party affiliation to Democrat:

* The Democratic Party represents the lower and middle class Americans while the Republican Party seems to represent ONLY the upper class and their interest.
* Democrats are better stewards of the economy. In the past 24 years or so spending is way higher under the two Bush regimes then Clinton. If I am not mistaken Clinton balanced the budget during his tenure whereas now we have huge federal deficits again under the Republican leadership.
* We have a lot of unnecessary lost of life in this Iraq war in which I still can't justify our involvement over there in the first place.
* Democrats are better stewards of this Earth since they have better environmental policies. The Republicans have historically been against the environment. Their track record proves it.
* Religious values-I used to think that Republicans represented religious beliefs better then Democrats. Politics and religion do not mix and need to be separate which the Democrats agree with more. I know the conservative Republicans are against abortion and gay marriage but these issues should be kept out of government. We should not be judging others and forcing our agenda on other lifestyles. That is between God and them. People of religious value are supposed to love and give or serve the less fortunate in which the Democrats do WAY BETTER then the Republicans. If it were not for the Democrats, I am afraid there would be a lot of oppression going on. We need corporate regulations which the Republicans are more likely to resist. I also think the Democrats represent peace and justice which are religious values.

In summary, I can't really think of any reason to vote Republican anymore. Democrats represent 95% of Americans and the Republicans represent the wealthy 5% yet I can't understand why so many voters are swayed by the Republican way of thinking since they are so out of touch with most Americans.

I am so grateful for having political discussions with Shelly in our car pool arrangement. She has really helped me see the light by listening to her and it really reinforced the fact that the Democratic Party is where I need to be. Thank you Shelly, I am forever grateful to you.

All I ask is that Republicans of all generations be open to improved changes. You can change status quo which hasn't been too pleasant recently or remain the same. I am very excited about changing my party affiliation.

http://www.fannation.com/users/view_user_profile/12783